Too much + and too much -

Revision en2, by Pepe.Chess, 2017-05-15 03:14:21

Hello

After like more than one year of the new rating change formula , I observed some things that should be mentioned. I don't know if somebody else think of them as not fair.

When you are a div2 participant and you manage to get like a top 3 rank. Your rating is gonna go far like 2050-2100 (and I've encountered people with like 2150). The opposite goes the same , when you are like red or yellow and you finish a contest miserably your rating will change by (-200 , -300 even more). My rating was dropped by like 250 the last round :v . But on the other side there were contests that I got my rating increased because of the opposite effect (and still not finding it fair).

Like as I remember from the past (div1 : 1700) when you are a div2 contestant even if you manage to get 1st rank , your rating won't exceed 1750. the same applies to div1 when you are like the worst contestant in a round even if you are very good , your rating won't drop that much (it even underneath the div1 limit by a little gap).

I actually find this formula kind of unfair. If you are a coder who is expected to be ranked like (150-200) in a round. and you manage to be the 1st. It doesn't mean that you will be in the top 50 every single round. A lot of times luck does its job. Like I believe if tourist enters a combined round and submits a solution then his laptop broke and he skips the round he will go down to yellow :D. I saw a lot of people dropped very hard because they failed in a combined round and were gone to the bottom of the ranklist (that happened to me twice) , and once I jumped from the middle of Candidate to International (and I find this unfair).

The whole point is , if you are a div2 contestant and you get like 2100 after a perfect round , (there are people that I believe suffering in div1 to get that 2100) so you should compete against them to get it , not against div2 participants. The same applies for all colors (even if you're yellow and you did a perfect round like top 5 , It's not fair to go like 2500 in the same way) , Ok you should be rated as a grandmaster , but to go further you should proof that you are a grandmaster in few consecutive rounds. The same applies for dropping down.

I thought of sharing this here in CF , hope there are some people who agrees.

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en2 English Pepe.Chess 2017-05-15 03:14:21 375
en1 English Pepe.Chess 2017-05-15 03:09:43 1956 Initial revision (published)